First Presbyterian’s connection with Cuba began in 2011 when several members of the congregation along with pastoral staff visited the country. In the following years, additional groups from FPC visited and began exploring the idea of building a partnership with a Cuban Presbyterian church. In 2016 a Covenant Agreement was made official between First Presbyterian Church and Taguasco Reformed Presbyterian Church in Taguasco, Cuba. The agreement between our two churches is focused on partnership, mutuality, and an aim to learn from one another and explore areas for joint initiatives.
The partnership with Taguasco is the heart of our Cuba Program at FPC. Taguasco is located in the center of Cuba. It is a small church in terms of membership but broadly serves the surrounding community. The church has programs for children and seniors and is widely known as a welcoming, open and inclusive congregation. Though our relationship is not focused on financial contributions, we give financial support for Taguasco’s Lunch and Laundry project which provides laundry service, breakfast and lunch for 35 seniors each week.
At First Church we hold Cuba Sunday annually, a day when we celebrate our partnership with Taguasco in worship through a bilingual service. We also facilitate visits between FPC and Taguasco to build connections between the congregations and strengthen relationships. In addition to the partnership with Taguasco our staff and Cuba Action Group look for ways to engage with larger PC(USA) Cuba initiatives and to connect with other congregations engaged in Cuba church partnerships.
Ways to Get Involved
- Join the Cuba Action Group to discern and plan new partner initiatives – meets the third Tuesday of the month at 6:30 p.m.
- Become a prayer partner – we’ll exchange your information with a prayer partner in Taguasco
- Let us know you’re interested in getting involved here so we can contact you.
- Join a partner visit to Taguasco, Cuba
- Attend Cuban cultural outings with FPC congregants
- Access ‘Su Voz’ here – daily devotions written by Presbyterian Reformed Church in Cuba members
- Taguasco Reformed Presbyterian Church in Taguasco, Cuba
- PC(USA) Cuba Partners Network